Thursday, April 19, 2012

Journal 66: Real American

What details in Dwight Okita’s poem, “In Response to Executive Order 9066,” show that the speaker feels she is a real American? Why do you think she chose to include those details? Are they convincing? Why or why not? If you had to prove that you were a “real” Taiwanese (or whatever nationality you identify with), what kind of details would you include in your self-description? Why would you choose those details?

She says that she always feels funny using chopsticks and she likes to eat hot dogs. It shows that she's a real American because Japanese people don't usually like hot dogs and they can all use chopsticks. I think she chose to include those details because she really wants people to believe she's a true American and it was very unfair to make the Japanese go to the camps. They are quite convincing, because hot dogs are normally American food, and her not knowing how to use a chopstick proves that she's not a real Japanese. If I had to prove that I was a real Taiwanese, then I think I'll just say that I'm able to speak both Mandarin and Taiwanese, and that my dad is a Taiwanese and that I grow up in Taiwan. Maybe also that I think red is a cursed color (not really, but it's a Taiwanese "belief") and that STINKY TOFU IS THE MOST DELICIOUS THING EVER! Just kidding. It's okay, I guess, but I just don't get why foreigners hate it so much, it's not that bad after all. I'd also say that I like going to the night market in Taiwan even thought I don't go that much, and I get red envelopes. I chose these details because in Taiwan, people believe that red is a bad color and if you write your name with a red pen, you'll die or something. Taiwanese people must also either know how to speak both mandarin and Taiwanese or just know how to speak Taiwanese. My dad is a Taiwanese and my mom is Chinese and I grow up in Taiwan, so I guess I'm a two-thirds Taiwanese person. Stinky tofu is really a signature dish from the famous night markets in Taiwan, but a lot of foreigners hate it. So that shows that I like the unique food of Taiwan, and that I'm a real Taiwanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment