Saturday, March 10, 2012

Journa Entry 55: Personal Assets

In Hatchet, Brian survives a plane crash and struggles to stay alive while lost in the wilderness. What personal assets does he have that help him survive? What personal attributes does he have to overcome? What are your greatest assets? How might these assets help you succeed in life? What personal assets do you have that might help you survive in the wilderness? Do you think you have any qualities that might hinder your survival rather than help it?

Some person assets that helped Brian is that he is very determined, smart, and optimistic (most of the time). His being very determined helped him survive, because he was very determined not to give up and to survive. He's also quite smart because he knew how to make ladders and weapons with just his hatchet and shoe laces. He was also optimistic, thinking that planes will come rescue him, and that was like his motive for living and working. He was a city boy though, so he doesn't really know much about the wilderness and is inexperienced. He is used to having food that's prepared by others and having everything set up and prepared for him. He also has a "secret" to worry about and he is kind of depressed by it. My greatest asset is probably that I've gone camping quite a few times in my life, so I guess I have some experience with the wilderness, and I also read a little about natures and animals. I do have a lot of qualities that might hinder my survival though. First of all, I am not very determined and I might easily give up if I were Brian. And, I don't think I would've done anything when the pilot had an heart attack. But, unlike Brian, I'd give up on all hope when the other person he tried to talk to before the plane crashed stop talking. I also am VERY afraid of some animals and insects of all kinds. So, truth to be told, I don't think I'll survive at all in the wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment