Friday, October 14, 2011

Journal Entry 13: Freedom Fighter

Imagine that you are a fairly wealthy and comfortable citizen of a country. Everything is going well for you personally, but there is one problem with the place you live: slavery is widely practiced and is sanctioned by the state. You, as a freedom loving person, are bothered by this. Unfortunately, it is illegal for you to help slaves escape, or even to openly question the practice of slavery. You find out that some people you know are secretly helping slaves escape, and they want you to join them. It is very dangerous, because if you are caught you could be killed. Describe how you feel about the situation and what you would do.

I'm not really the kind of person who likes to go around risking my own life for some people I don't know, but I'd still help a little. Even though I believe that it's wrong to enslave people, I wouldn't have courage to help them escape. I would probably employ them myself, and be really nice to them and still pay them. Even though that is not effective enough, at least I am helping some of them. I would probably also help my friends help the slaves and not interact with them directly myself, but through my friends instead, because that would be a little bit safer. If there were enough people who wants to end slavery, I might even consider joining a rebel group or something, and that might help more. I guess I wouldn't risk my own life too much, because I have quite a lot to lose, unlike that slaves who really doesn't have much to lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment