Thursday, May 17, 2012

Journal Entry 77: Slang

In “Raymond’s Run” Squeaky uses a lot of dialect and slang, as does Lemon Brown in “The Treasure of Lemon Brown” (the next story we will read). For this journal writing entry, write as many slang expressions as you can think of. Write them, and then tell what they mean, and then give an example by using them in a sentence.

I think there are quite a lot of slangs nowadays, but most of them are just shortened words of things. Girls say things like OMG, IKR, and sometimes SAME. Actually, I think it's kind of annoying sometimes. The worst slang of all might be LOL. Lol basically means laugh out loud, but most of the time when people type that to you, it means they think what you just said is not funny at all and just wants to ignore you. There are too much slangs for me to cover, but I like the kinds that help shorten words like simple ones : u, i, yea, kno, tmr, k, and thx or 10x. Okay, so, examples! OMG, I can't believe you just did that. IKR!!! That's so hilar! Mhm, same, that bag is AWFUL. LOL. OMG obviously means oh my god. IKR is I know right?? Hilar is just hilarious. Mhm is the sound u make when you agree to what others are saying. sometimes, with shortened words, you just have to read it out loud, then you'd get it. And, according to How Stuff Words, in the 2000s, the slangs are:
  1. Barney Bag -- a gigantic purse
  2. Newbie -- a newcomer; someone who is inexperienced
  3. Peeps -- friends; people
  4. Rents -- parents
  5. Sweet -- beyond cool
This website is pretty great, because it talks about how the slags change overtime. But I don't think it is very accurate:

1 comment:

  1. really?!!
    LOL is just a slang to try to ignore ppl?!! I'm kinda surprised.
    Haha~it says rents means parents; at first I thought rent means payment stuff :P

    ReplyDelete